Every patient gets a complete eye examination before the surgery. Patients should stop wearing contact lenses several days before the visit because they may temporally change shape of the cornea. During the visit, possible plan of the surgery, results, risks, complications are discussed with the patient.
Before the operation
- Every patient should stop wearing soft contact lenses for at least 1-2 weeks before the operation, RGP lenses for 3 weeks in advance;
- 3 days before the surgery women should stop use cosmetics (mascara make-up, eye shadows);
- At the day of surgery patients should not use creams, perfumes or lotions.
At the day of surgery you will spend about two hours at the clinic. You should come with leading person as you will not be able to drive after the operation yourself. The eyes will be sensitive to light after the surgery, so you should take dark sun glasses to improve comfort.
Antiinflamatory eye drops will be administered just after the operation and you will be asked to use them for 3-4 weeks. The first visit to the clinic after PRK operation is on the 3rd day after LASIK: the next day after the surgery. The following visits are 1 week and 1, 3, 6 months later.
You should wait for about 1-2 weeks before beginning any non-contact sports. You should discuss the possibility to resume contact sports with the doctor individually.
- Avoid water coming into your eyes, do not use make-up and try to stay away from smoky rooms and dusty environments for the whole week;
- Do not drive until your vision has improved, which can take 3-7-10 days after the operation, depending on the operation method;
- Do not rub your eyes; avoid activities with risks to injure the eyes;
- Avoid sauna, swimming pool, intensive sport for at least one month;
- Wear sunglasses with UV filter for 6 months after the refractive surgery;
- Women should avoid pregnancy for 6 months after the surgery.